Friday, August 31, 2007

The Sharpe Socks

Well okay, since I don't use this one for much, but apparently I use it to comment on other blogs, I'll start using this one for my knitting projects. I hear you saying "woohoo" all the way over here, so just calm down and don't get too excited quite yet.


I've been knitting for nearly 30 years, but sort of got away from it to quilt for a few years. I also took some time off to do thread crochet. (hmmm maybe I need pics of that stuff too sometime) But anyway, I'm back to my needles with a vengeance and have recently fallen in like with doing socks.


Yes it's true what they say, "once you do socks, you never go back." So I have been collecting really cool sock yarns and am on my 4th pair.


I feel that the first pair needs a bit of explanation. I used a pattern from the internet called "mini training sock" and it was only supposed to be small and cute to enable practice on heels and toes, etc. The rest of a sock is pretty straightforward knitting, but heels and toes require a bit more concentration and manipulation of the yarn and needles. Let me tell you, the first time I did a Kitchener stitch toe, I was thinking "wow-this is way cool and it worked!" (simple things for simple minds, eh?


Anyway, I didn't see the sense of using the "good" yarn for a practice piece, so found some variegated/camo Red Heart worsted weight yarn and used that. Well, as I did more and more, I thought I might as well make the sock to fit me. I have small feet so it wasn't that much more knitting. But by golly, they *do* fit and even though they are butt ugly, they are my first pair of socks. The Bean buds call them the Sharpe socks, because they look like they'd match up with Richard Sharpe's Green jacket. ;)


Here they are, for what it's worth.

No comments: