Friday, February 27, 2009

Flatfeet socks

I've been enjoying the Flatfeet yarn "flats" or whatever they are called! They are machine knit "blanks" then died two at a time. You can two similar/sort of identical flats sewn together and that is enough to make a pair of socks. You just unravel as you knit. It's a bit disconcerting at first because it's so wavy, but it all works out in the end.

I am doing simple pattern stitches for both the pink and green. Both are from the flat of the month club at Heartstone-the pink for Valentine's day and the green for St Pat's. I have been working on the pink for a couple of weeks, but I put aside the pink so I can finish the green ones for St Pat's! I find it incredibly easy to do them both at once.

The pink pattern stitch is one I have no idea where it came from. I do know I sort of worked it out on graph paper. I'm not claiming it as my own, but I don't know what it's called or who originated it. Every two rows are knit all the way around, the other two rows alternate K2, P2 to make the basket weave pattern.

The green pattern stitch is the same mock/baby/one stitch cable pattern from the fingerless gloves pattern a few posts back.

Both socks are done on 1's, CO 68 st. The pink pattern seems a bit tighter than the green cable rib-just for future reference, I might CO 72 if using the cable pattern.

1 comment:

shieldmatron said...

I've been curious about the flatfeet "yarn". Looks great! I might have to try them.

(Found your blog via Sharpe's Needles on Ravelry :) )